Monday, September 20, 2010

Levi's First camping trip - And a BEAR!

IMG_0769.jpg camping picture by leighi123


We went on Levi's first camping trip, just an hours drive from our vacation home in Tahoe. We went to a campsite at Fallen Leaf Lake and decided to just stay one night for the experience. It was fun!

The bear story:

I rosted marshmallows for my mom, and she decided not to eat one of them so threw it in the fire. Jokingly I commented on how "a bear was going to come and eat it now"

5 min later, Levi and Nai Nai were getting some lemonade out of the bear-proof storage box, and I was sitting in a low chair on the ground by the picnic table.
All of a sudden I heard a 'crinkle' sound coming from behind me. Sense I could see Levi/my mom, I knew it wasn't one of them. I turn around thinking its a person, and its a BEAR!
There was a bear on the picnic table! It looked up at me, I think it saw me at the same time I did. I jumped up from my seat and said "Get in the car". My mom hadn't seen the bear yet, I said again "there is a bear, get in the car".
I started towards Levi (mommy instinct, even though my mom was already picking him up and slamming shut the bear-box) and we all got in the car.
The bear lumbered around for a while and walked off.
It had ripped open an empty cookie packet that we had JUST set on the table, knocked over the lemonade, stuck its nose in my lemonade, and sniffed the grill.

We asked the park ranger what we should have done, and she said walk diagonally away from the bear, which is exactly what I had done when I headed towards Levi.

It made Levi's first camping trip 'official' and will be a great story to tell!


Some other camping adventures: (We also went to Stanford Camp during the camping trip, also on Fallen Leaf Lake)
DSC04641.jpg kayak picture by leighi123
Kayaking

DSC04636.jpg Pinky and mom picture by leighi123
Paddle boat ride



DSC04649.jpg in the meadow picture by leighi123
Nature Walk (guided tour)


DSC04628.jpg crawdad picture by leighi123
Catching crawdads (and letting them go right after pics)

No comments:

Post a Comment